Heinrich Sartin, STEAM Coordinator
Phone: (818) 252-5448
For the most current updates, please join the LDNE Elementary Science Schoology group using group access code QM7BH-7KMWF.
NGSS Presentations (Archived)
NGSS Introduction (2-hour banked-time professional development)
Grade 1 Cohort Professional Development (6 hrs.)
NGSS Information Sources
- Find the latest information on California’s implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards on the California Department of Education’s (CDE) website.
- Register for Digital Chalkboard’s NGSS Community Group. Here you will find resources for teachers, administrators, and districts that are implementing the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Achieve produces a monthly Next Generation Science Standards newsletter, which includes implementation resources, NGSS in the news, and more. You can sign up for it here.
- The California Science Teachers Association (CSTA) has a monthly newsletter called California Classroom Science. Sign up here for lesson inspiration and California-specific information.
- The National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) has a NGSS@NSTA Hub website. There you can find news, curriculum resources, and other useful information. They also have a NGSS Community Forum.
- The Teaching Channel has nearly 20 videos on implementing the NGSS.
California Draft Science Framework
The California Science Framework is available to view and download on California Department of Education website. Click here to access the webpage. The final publication version of the CA Science Framework should be available by July 2017.
NGSS Implementation Timelines
CAST (California Science Test) Resources
- California Science Test (CAS) Blueprint provides educators with information about the number of items for each Disciplinary Core Idea (DCI) on the elementary, middle, and high school CAST.
- Assessment Fact Sheet Provides answers to general questions you might have about various aspects and objectives of the CAST field test.
- CAST Training Test and Scoring Guide provides sample CAST items for grades five and eight and high school. The scoring guide provides answers and scoring rubrics for items.
- Parent Guide to Understanding the California Science Test provides answers to key questions, such as who takes the assessments and why, when, and how they are administered, and other questions parents and guardians might have.
- Quick Reference Guide: How to Start a Training Test gives step-by-step instructions for educators, parents, and students to access the training test for the CAST.
- Quick Reference Guide: How to Start a Test Session gives step-by-step instructions for how to start a test session for the CAST administration.
- Informational Video An eight-minute video that provides information about the California Next Generation Science Standards and the CAST field test. http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/castpilotvideo.asp
- Science Reference Tools for Students in Grade Eight and High School Students provides CAST reference tools for students to use during online testing. The tools, which include a periodic table and a reference sheet of formulae and scientific constants, are made available to signal that students are not expected to memorize this information. They are not required to be used during classroom instruction and are not meant to guide instruction.
FOSS NGSS - Free 60-day Trial
FOSS has updated their K-5 units to be aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards. Please download the instructions for establishing a FOSSweb account and using the 60-day FOSS NGSS access code here.
If your school would like to get rid of pre-adoption (before 2007) versions of the FOSS kits, please email Lillian Valadez-Rodela at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Nancy Bentov at the Granada Hills Science Materials Center (818.831.8330). The materials will be reused to replace or refurbish FOSS kits for LAUSD schools.
FOSS Kit Refurbishment Program
The district has a program that can refurbish a school's FOSS kits with some or all of the permanent and refurbishment items. If interested, please email Lillian Valadez-Rodela at email@example.com, or call Nancy Bentov at the Granada Hills Science Materials Center (818.831.8330).
FOSS Living Materials Cards
Matrix of Live Materials Cards for Grades K-4
Engineering Opportunities within FOSS K-5 Modules